Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Green Day: Pantone greenery challenge quilt

Over the past few years I have participated in the Pantone colour of the year challenges, and this years colour "Greenery" is one of my favourites.
So when Rebecca from Bryan House Quilts and Sarah from No Hats In The House announced the 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge, I already had decided to enter.
The quilt I chose to make was a "greenery" version of the "Boxes and Crosses" quilt from Emma Jean Jansens book "By The Bundle", but made fewer blocks so that the quilt finished at 51" x 69" .
I pulled lots of low volume /B&W prints all from my stash and added in some bright springy greens to make the blocks.
There are green prints from many of my favourite designers - Denyse Schmidt, Cotton and Steel, Lizzy House along with the spinning gums and kangaroos from Emma Jean Jansens Terra Australis range.
The blocks are all nine patches so there was lots of quick chain piecing to sew them together.
I quilted it with straight lines echoing the seams which is so simple yet so effective.  
And I bound the quilt in Kona "Parrot" which is a solid matching the Pantone "greenery" swatch.
The quilt is backed in Ikea Britten Nummers fabric which goes well with the black and white prints on the front.
Linking "Green Day" (51" x 69")  with the Pantone quilt challenge for 2017.
This was on my FAL Q2 list for this year so linking up with the 2017 FAL team.
Kirsten.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeus quilt Kirsten! Beautiful fabrics and colours and great pattern! Backing fabrics is a perfect match! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely finish Kirsten. I would not say that green is a favourite colour of mine but I would really like this quilt!! Thanks for being part of the 2017FAL - from the FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete